Thursday, May 14, 2009

Arrival, part I

I meet Loki at the train.
It's raining steadily as we run for the car. A warm early summer rain.
Loki hops into the car, chattering contentedly: he's glad to be with me, his master, again, school is finally over, things are looking up. I reply with appropriate murmurs of agreement and ask questions to appear interested. In reality, I'm a bit preoccupied with my own thoughts.

Loki is in full puppy mode in his excitement. He's so playful and full of himself. He makes silly comments, tries to tease me about my driving, and is generally pesty.
"Keep it up," I say, "and you'll find yourself bound and gagged in the backseat!"
He whimpers, recalling the last time that did happen (a story for another day, dear reader).

After a moment or two of silence, he begins to prattle on again, but now it is out of nervousness. He's picked up on my pent up energy and distraction. He starts to worry. He specifically avoids asking what is wrong though, a bit afraid of the possible answer. Did he do something wrong? Am I going to punish him for something?

We drive along in the rain for a while. Ahead is an old, abandoned, run-down farmhouse. The associated barn has long since collapsed. The house itself sits on the edge of town, right on the main road, considered an eyesore by many. This is where I pull over and stop, right in front of this house.

Loki eyes me nervously. He's totally silent now.
I get out of the car, go around to his door, open it, and say "Get out, now".
He obeys, ever the faithful pup, even in fear.

He stands before me. Cars rush by us, no one caring. In front of the world I put Loki's collar on him and attach the leash. I turn toward the house in silence. Loki follows, knowing he'd better be on heel, at my side, but a bit to worried to walk any but a half pace behind. We climb the rickety steps with caution and I push open the door. Loki enters behind me, whimpering. I shut the door behind him. I shush him and lead him farther into the house.

It's a dark room on the front of the house, you can still hear the road. Light leaks in between the boards over the windows.
"Strip" I command. "Take it all off."
He does. Totally silent for once. He stands before me in the half-light naked except for the collar and leash draped down his front. I stand facing him.

No comments: